Welcome to Saint Helena
Discover the secret of the South Atlantic – Saint Helena, lonely but lovely. Introverted nature enthusiasts find their place here, where there is no other soul, or land, for miles, and one is surrounded instead by welcoming local people and wildlife.
The island has been isolated for 14 million years and is home to 500 endemic species. What once required a five-day boat journey to get there is now available to tourists via a flight from South Africa. Life is slower here and decidedly behind modern times, but that’s all part of its eccentric appeal.
Request Your Free Vacation Plan
Our Travel Experts Will Find You The Best Deals, Fast.
Where To Stay
Find The Best Flight With Your Favorite Airline
Compare realtime airline prices
Need To Know
- Saint Helena is an island in the middle of the South Atlantic Ocean – 1,200 miles from Africa’s southwest coast and 1,800 miles from South America. It is 47 square miles in size and home to about 4,000 people.
- A Seychelles Giant Tortoise named Jonathan lives on Saint Helena and is the world’s oldest-known living land animal. He is estimated to be as much as 200 years old.
- Napoleon Bonaparts lived in exile on Saint Helena from 1815 until his death in 1821.
- Coffee enthusiasts may recognize Saint Helena coffee as some of the best in the world. It’s made from a green-tipped Bourbon Arabica coffee bean, which is considered a globally endangered species.
- Saint Helena has been a British Overseas Territory for longer than anywhere else except Bermuda.
Saint Helena’s official language is English.
When To Go
The best time to go to Saint Helena is November to March.
Saint Helena Airport
Passport must be valid at time of entry for six months beyond arrival date.
Visa Required By US Citizen?
The CDC recommends the following vaccine for all travelers when visiting Saint Helena: Measles and routine vaccinations. Most travelers should receive the Hepatitis A and Typhoid vaccines. Some travelers should receive the Hepatitis B and Rabies vaccines.
Power plugs and sockets: type G. Standard voltage: 230V. Frequency: 50Hz.
Public transportation options include bus service, taxi and vehicles for hire. There are no trains or trams.
A valid US driver’s license is required.
US Embassy Info
US Embassy London
33 Nine Elms Lane
London SW11 7US
Local Visitor Info
Saint Helena Tourist Office
Jamestown STHL 1ZZ
Local Emergency Phone Numbers
General Emergency: 911
Safety and Security
The crime rate is low in Saint Helena. Petty theft occurs occasionally.
Have A Planning Question About Your Trip
Get Free Advice From A Travel Advisor
Don’t Forget These Essentials
LOCAL TOURS GUIDES
Most Recent Stories
Get Our Best Stuff First.
Sign up for our newsletters.
Your U.S. Passport
and Travel Visas