Welcome to Cabo Verde
West of Senegal, deep into the Atlantic, the island chain of Cabo Verde attracts beach and nature lovers. Tourists can get a culture fix in the capital of Mindelo on Sao Vicente, where music clubs are hopping until the wee hours.
By day, head out for hours-long hikes on Santo Antao, wander the dunes of Sal and Maio or discover volcanic landscapes on Fogo and Brava. The islands’ renowned hospitality will charm you if the alluring seaside ambience hasn’t already captured your heart.
Request Your Free Vacation Plan
Our Travel Experts Will Find You The Best Deals, Fast.
Where To Stay
Find The Best Flight With Your Favorite Airline
Compare realtime airline prices
Need To Know
- Cabo Verde is made up of ten islets and five islets, with Sal being the smallest, but the most popular for its turquoise waters and white-sand beaches.
- Marine life enthusiasts flock here between July and September to see loggerhead turtles laying their eggs. Ervatao Beach on Boa Vista is the world’s third most important loggerhead turtle nesting site.
- Boa Vista also boasts waters that are the breeding ground for humpback whales. The best time to spot them are March and April.
- Cabo Verde has a volcanic landscape – in fact, the island of Fogo rose from the sea during a volcanic eruption, resulting in the 9,281-foot Pico do Fogo.
- Cabo Verde is home to one of Africa’s most stable democratic governments and West Africa’s highest standard of living.
Cabo Verde’s official language is Portuguese.
When To Go
The best time to go to Cabo Verde is November to June.
Amílcar Cabral International Airport
Passport must be valid at time of entry.
Visa Required By US Citizen?
None for stays of less than 30 days
The CDC recommends the following vaccine for all travelers when visiting Cabo Verde: Measles and routine vaccinations. Most travelers should receive the Hepatitis A and Typhoid vaccines. Some travelers should receive the Hepatitis B, Malaria, Yellow Fever and Rabies vaccines.
Power plugs and sockets: types C and F. Standard voltage: 230V. Frequency: 50Hz.
Cape Verde Escudo
The road system is extensive throughout Cabo Verde. Some roads are asphalt, while others are mainly cobblestone.
Public transportation options include taxi, bus and commuter van service.
A valid US driver’s license is required.
US Embassy Info
U.S. Embassy Praia
Rua Abilio Macedo 6
Praia, Santiago, Cabo Verde
Telephone: +(238) 260-8948
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: + (238) 991-3325
Fax: +(238) 261-1355
Local Visitor Info
Local Emergency Phone Numbers
Safety and Security
The crime rate is moderate in Cabo Verde. Petty crime and burglary are common at marketplaces, festivals, street fairs and public gatherings. Muggings occur often, particularly at night. Use extreme caution after dark and carry a flashlight. Avoid the hillside staircases connecting the neighborhoods in Praia and other Cabo Verdean cities and towns, even in daylight.
Use extreme caution when participating in water sports. The tides and currents are very strong.
Have A Planning Question About Your Trip
Get Free Advice From A Travel Advisor
Don’t Forget These Essentials
LOCAL TOURS GUIDES
Most Recent Stories
Get Our Best Stuff First.
Sign up for our newsletters.
Your U.S. Passport
and Travel Visas