South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
Welcome to South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands
At 864 miles from its closest neighbor, South Georgia Islands and the South Sandwich Islands are the epitome of remote. While it’s one of the least visited places on Earth, for those who venture here, it’s a life-changing destination. Follow in the footsteps of epic explorers as you marvel at the natural beauty of the mountains and beaches and meet a fair share of king penguins and fur seals.
The only way here is via expedition ship, which will also serve as your accommodations, so you’ll need to make (very) advanced plans. Why stop here? As the gateway to Antarctica, South Georgia serves as icy inspiration for an in-depth journey to the White Continent.
Request Your Free Vacation Plan
Our Travel Experts Will Find You The Best Deals, Fast.
Where To Stay
Find The Best Flight With Your Favorite Airline
Compare realtime airline prices
Need To Know
- South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands is a British Overseas Territory in the South Atlantic Ocean. The islands were first sighted by Captain Cook in 1775.
- No permanent inhabitants live in South Georgia. There is a small scientific staff and two museum staff who live there at certain points of the year.
- Sir Ernest Shackleton is buried at Grytviken on South Georgia Island.
- South Georgia Island is home to the world’s most important penguin and seabird breeding area, including King and Gentoo penguins.
- Only about 5,000 visitors make it to the island each year, all by boat (but no large cruise ships).
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands’ official language is English.
When To Go
The best time to go to South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands is November to March.
Passport must be valid at time of entry.
Visa Required By US Citizen?
Visit must be approved in advance with the Commissioner.
The CDC recommends the following vaccine for all travelers when visiting South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands: Measles and routine vaccinations. Most travelers should receive Hepatitis A and Typhoid vaccines. Some travelers should receive the Hepatitis B vaccine.
Power plugs and sockets: types C and F. Standard voltage: 220V. Frequency: 50Hz.
Official local currency: British Pound
US Embassy Info
U.S. Embassy London
33 Nine Elms Lane
London, SW11 7US
Telephone: +(44)(20) 7499-9000
Emergency After-Hours Telephone: +(44)(20) 7499-9000
Fax: +(44) (20) 7891-3845
Local Visitor Info
Local Emergency Phone Numbers
General Emergency: 999
Safety and Security
The crime rate is low on South Georgia Island and the South Sandwich Islands.
Have A Planning Question About Your Trip
Get Free Advice From A Travel Advisor
Don’t Forget These Essentials
LOCAL TOURS GUIDES
Most Recent Stories
Get Our Best Stuff First.
Sign up for our newsletters.
Your U.S. Passport
and Travel Visas